Finished work last night and went out for a quick Vietnamese meal in the city before embarking on a brief absinthe tour of two Melbourne bars, The Toff in Town and Cookie , which helpfully are in the same building as one another. (As an aside, the links above are to Age reviews of the bars; and really, they should take their photos at night, as the daylight photos on the paper's website are utterly lacking in atmosphere). The Toff had a very limited range of brands on offer; only four, one of which was the utterly vile Green Fairy brand, which all good absintheurs should avoid like the plague. The brand I eventually chose, which I hadn't tried before, was Jacques Senaux Blue , from Spain (80% proof). Because I always drink my absinthe with sugar and water in the traditional fashion (although most places insist on setting the sugar alight, which is flamboyant, whereas actually the water should be slowly dripped onto the sugar until it dissolves - incidentally, the only plac...
Comments
and if you were just about to go to bed, you could add:
7. A big hairy buff guy.
to things you were thinking (or dreaming) of.
I felt like it totally unbalanced the arc of the story which ended on a total downer. I suppose he was trying to allow for non-renewal of the series, but really he went too far.
And although Jack's hardly an ordinary character who would be expected to have ordinary relationships, it's still hard to get away from the superficial interpretation: bi-curious guy has emotionally unsatisfying relationship with a man and dies.
Sure if it was all sweetness and light that would be boring, but I think it would've been better tragedy if Ianto had had some unalloyed happiness in there somewhere.
But I should already know not to trust Davies with emotional stuff. He just doesn't know when to stop and I can only guess the page with the word subtlety on it is missing from his dictionary.